November 27, 2010

Money

Western Union Telegram, Pelham Naval Station, NY
November 5, 1918


H F WELDON, CARE FIRST NATIONAL BANK, WFALLS, TX

WIRE CASH CARE BARRACKS 7 M WILL WRITE

HEYWOOD


Pelham Bay
November 5, 1918


Dear Father,

Our bunch who passed the examination are leaving today -- certainly wish I could go along.

I wired for money today because we aren't to get paid this time. As I've only drawn $10 since I entered the service, my little stock I had when I left has about dwindled away. I feel almost like a thief to take it but I'll try to send it back when we get our money.

Love,
Heywood

(Postmarked New York, New York, November 6, 1918)


Undated newspaper clipping enclosed with above letter:

Mrs. H.F. Weldon Winner in Golf Putting Tournament


The Golf Clubs Saturday reported Mrs. H.F. Weldon winner in the Golf Club putting tournament which has been played off each week for the past five weeks of the summer, and which has occasioned much interest among club members.

The tournament was for men and women, sixteen couples entering after a first tournament deciding the entries. The second week eight were eliminated, leaving four couples; and the fourth week two were eliminated, leaving two women members of the club, Mesdames H.F. Weldon and Frank Collier, with the putting honors.

In the run-off the past week Mrs. Weldon was winner and is to be presented with a club prize.

No comments:

Post a Comment