November 8, 2010

Drilling

San Pedro, California
October 1, 1918


Dear Mother,

Company W is lucky this morning -- we're supposed to scrub decks but instead they detailed another company, and we were allowed to go to a talk for the 4th Liberty Loan. All our company took at least $50.00 worth a piece, at $5.09 per month. I had mine made out so when it's paid out it will go to you, and you can keep it -- although it can't be cashed in as long as I'm in the service. I don't know why but they can't be.

We are sure now of our job of guarding Exposition Park. Four companies are going and there will be sham battles, and one company will be artillery, so there will be as much noise as possible I suppose.

Otis Sheffield got a telegram yesterday saying Roy had died -- Mrs. L certainly has been unfortunate. It doesn't seem right for Roy to go and let some certain Bowie slackers live.

The quarantine isn't raised yet, but it's not so bad, except exactly when the fellows need cigarettes and matches and candy. The canteen closed for an inventory and things are in pretty bad shape, however it will open today I think.

Back again -- Company W was called on the quarterdeck for about 30 minutes' work and we are off until 1:20 again. Am glad I went. I had time to get my fountain pen and don't have to use the stick pens the "Y" furnishes.

We drill this afternoon. I don't mind it at all, for we don't drill for several hours like the army. We usually stay on the parade grounds about two hours, and half of that time is spent in rest so we don't suffer any. One thing the whole bunch likes to do is bayonet drill -- we get to fix bayonets and charge, yelling as loud as we can, and punch them in the ground (we haven't any sacks stuffed with hay). They teach offensive and defensive work with bayonets exactly like the army does. I suppose they think we might have to land sometime and fight.

Have to wash a couple of hats and a suit of whites today, so think I'll do it at noon so they will dry before night. We haven't any special wash days -- just have to keep clean. I send part of my stuff to the laundry when I haven't much time. You can get one suit cleaned and pressed, and ten other pieces washed for 40 cents -- about two hours work if we did it ourselves.

Love to all of you,
Heywood

(Postmarked San Pedro, California, October 2, 1918)

No comments:

Post a Comment