November 17, 2010

Mess Duty

San Pedro, California
October 15, 1918

My dear Father,

Got your letter this morning written on the 11th, and one yesterday with the telegram in it, written on the 9th. Am certainly glad to hear of your appointment.

We have been on mess two days now, but as our company was divided and put in some others today, we may not have to work any more there. We also have one more point toward their raising the quarantine. San Francisco has raised theirs, and as several fellows were recently drafted and sent there, we think this station will soon be out. But rumors are thick as can be and no one really knows anything about it.

When I'm on mess I get homesick every time, for then I get to sympathizing with myself and think how I'd like to run in to Wichita -- but to tell the truth I don't need sympathy, for I don't even earn the $1.10 per day I get -- let alone the patriotic part of it -- and we are treated all right -- a place to sleep and pretty good eats. So I should feel fine.

Must go back to work at 3:30. Mess has the longest working hours of anything -- on at 5:45 til 10 o'clock -- off til 3:30, then on again until about 7 p.m., but I'll live over it I'm sure.

Am glad Elizabeth is feeling all right -- schools are out indefinitely here too, but it's all for the best.

Love to all of you.

From your affectionate son,
Heywood

P.S. Excuse hurried writing with pencil.

(Postmarked San Pedro, California, October 16, 1918)

No comments:

Post a Comment