January 4, 2011

A Short Trip

Navy Yard
January 27, 1919


Dear Mother,

Well we went to Wilmington after all, and I'm certainly glad I did. Had a wonderful time and Whiteside's people are certainly nice -- and you ought to see his sister. She is just about your height and pretty -- oh, my! How should you like to have a daughter-in-law?

We aren't going down next Saturday on account of lowness of funds, but after the 5th we will go down again. It only costs about 45 cents to go down on a trolley, and last time we ate and slept at John's aunt's. She is about 60 and looks like Grandma, but is a regular sport.

If I shipped over [Ed note: Ship over = re-enlist] I would have to ship for 4 years. I've decided I can't stay that long, for there isn't enough money in it. I must pay you what I ow you as soon as possible, and I don't seem to be making much headway in the outfit. Besides, I want to start in and save some for myself. If I could get $150 a month for a year, I could save over 500 beans. That would be a start anyway. May need it -- can't ever tell!

After tomorrow I'll know whether or not I'll get on the Blakeley. The Lt. Commander is coming down and I'll talk to him. If I get off the detail, I'll try and get a discharge. I don't know what excuse I'd put up -- better just tell them I have a good job waiting for me, and that they don't need my services any longer -- which is true. The main thing is getting off the destroyer detail.

Am going to sleep tonight early as I was up late getting back to the Yard from Wilmington. I've been in one more state anyway.

The weather has certainly been great the last two weeks, and I hope it stays so.

Got your letter this morning.

Lt. Ray was out to see me yesterday when I wasn't here. He left me a note with his address on it, so after payday I'll look him up. It's a week off and I guess he will wonder why I don't come up sooner, but I don't want to go out til I have a little money anyway.

No, I don't shoot craps -- I play penny ante once in a while, but couldn't win or lose enough to make any difference one way or another.

Give my love to all the rest.

Lovingly,
Heywood

(Postmarked Philadelphia, Penn., January 28, 1919)

No comments:

Post a Comment