January 25, 2011

New Barracks

Philadelphia
April 25, 1919


Dear Mother,

We have moved to another barracks this morning so when you write, put down Barracks No. 366 Blakeley Detail. Excuse writing but my hands are cold, for we had to carry our bags and hammocks about a quarter of a mile, and it's snowing this morning. Looks like it will clear off soon though.

The worst part of changing barracks is now we have to sleep in hammocks instead of our iron bunks, however, we won't be here very long before we go aboard. We get more liberty and have less work here in the yard, so the fellows don't care when we go into commission.

Practically no one is getting out here now. The other morning they called us up and asked for volunteers out of the D.O.W. and Reserve forces to sign up til the president said the national emergency was over -- and not ask to be let out when peace was signed. Did I go up? I did not. That's too indefinite -- it might mean over four years.

Wagenseller and I went to a good show yesterday afternoon. We get the other fellow to muster for us when we want to stay out, and then we muster for them when they want to.

Edwin's poem was so fine. It seems as if all the Weldons are accomplished except the admiral. However, he is young so you may make something out of him yet.

Sara wrote me that she got a letter from you and she was tickled to death. They wrote and told me to come down this Saturday, but I think I'll wait til Sunday morning, for her Aunt Mayme isn't feeling very well, and I hate to impose upon them. They don's seem to mind my coming and always tell me to be sure and come, and I guess they wouldn't invite me all the time if they didn't want me.

Just about the time we started in last night, the cold west wind came up and we almost froze to death running from the main gate to the barracks, and we didn't have our pea coats either.

Got another letter from Di Avis yesterday.

I have been writing to you regularly and I don't know why you haven't gotten them, for I write three or four times a week. If you haven't gotten the money, let me know for I've got the receipt.

Lovingly,
Heywood

(Postmarked Philadelphia, April 25, 1919)

No comments:

Post a Comment