January 21, 2011

Distress Signal

Western Union Telegram
To H.F. Weldon
April 18, 1919


WE DON'T GET PAID UNTIL MONDAY CAN YOU WIRE TEN DOLLARS WILL SEND IT BACK AS SOON AS I GET PAID HEYWOOD


Philadelphia
April 22, 1919


Dear Father,

Again my distress signal has been heard and answered, but this time I have the "sponderlicks" to return to you.

Am enclosing a money order made out to Edwin so he can get it for you. I remember once when I paid back some you lent me when I was working with Kimball that you said you hated to cash checks with my name on them.

The weather is fine up here. Of course I'd rather it would be a little warmer but it's not very chilly in the afternoon.

They had some big parade last night in the city, and unveiled a liberty statue on Broad Street. I have gotten out of all the parades and am certainly glad of it, for it's at least four or five miles from this part of town to the center, and the fellows have to march all the way there and back.

Don't think I'll take out a victory bond at all -- even a 50-dollar one -- for I know I'll be out before the 10 months are up that it takes to pay for it.

Just came back from a ship over to Cramps to take some more stores on board the ship -- it's about 15 miles over there from where the stores were, so we had a good time riding on the truck, although it was pretty rough part of the way. The Blakeley's sister ship went into commission this morning but we are still waiting. Don't know why they delay so long, for she has been finished almost a month now.

I surely wish you could get to come up here while I'm still here, for I could get leave to be with you, I'm sure.

Have to go over to the yard post office to get the money order so as it's now eleven o'clock I'll have to hurry.

My love to all of you. I hope you get to feeling better than you have been -- you need a vacation for you haven't had one in a long time. If you could only be in the Navy with me for a couple of months, I know would get to feeling fine.

Your affectionate son,
Heywood

(Postmarked Philadelphia, April 22, 1919)

No comments:

Post a Comment