January 29, 2011

IWW's and Bolsheviki's

Philadelphia
May 2nd, 1919


Dear Mother,

It rained all day yesterday and we were over at Cramps' shipyard, and had to stay all day over there, and then came back on a trolley in our dungarees. Today is bright and warm, and I only hope the weekend stays like this. I haven't been on liberty since last Monday, but I still have a dollar and a half, so will go out tomorrow night. Of course I was out that afternoon we went down to the river, and the money I got allows me this weekend liberty.

Here are a couple of clippings I tore from the paper. I sent the message that told Col. Clement where to meet his wife. She was on the boat I was, and I asked the quartermaster on the Mercury to tell him to come on deck, and then his wife nearly went nuts when she saw him. He came ashore at the pier with General Muir, but the General was in civilian clothes and didn't look much like a soldier.

The Athletics play their first home game today, but I can't afford to go out and see them, for I'd rather not go than have to stay in over Sunday.

They had a bunch of rioting here by IWWs and Bolsheviki's yesterday, and a couple of companies of Marines were sent out on guard after a couple of policemen had been killed. They wouldn't let any gobs in camp go out on liberty for fear they would get into trouble. Of course, the ones on the ships got liberty.

We haven't more than two more truck loads to take over to the ship, but I have to go over anyway to stand around and try to learn how the put the tubes on. The listening apparatus on the Blakeley will cost almost $10,000 to install.

Got a letter from you yesterday that you wrote last Sunday and gave to Edwin and Abe to mail.

Love,
Heywood

Clipping enclosed with above:

Sees Relatives

Lieutenant Colonel Charles F. Clement, of Sunbury, acting chief of staff, had many duties to occupy him yesterday, but twice he was observed in oblivious contemplation of other things than duty. Once was down the river, when the division emblem was run to the masthead. The other time was at the pier, when he saw Mrs. Charles F. Clement, and his father, who was commander of the 28th Division when it was known as the National Guard of Pennsylvania.

No comments:

Post a Comment