January 9, 2011

News From The Island

League Island
February 13, 1919


Dear Mother,

The box came yesterday and contained just exactly the things I needed. My shaving cream was just about gone, as well as my toothpaste, so am sure glad you thought of them. As for talcum powder, I have about a half of a can left from the other you sent, but now I won't need any for many months to come.

We took a couple of pictures today but are going to wait til sometime when we are dressed up before we finish out the roll and have it developed.

I went out to a little supper and card party at Germantown, a suburb of Philly, last night with a fellow I have known in Connecticut. They were either distant relations or friends of his; I've forgotten which. Anyway, we had a pretty good time and good eats. However card parties aren't exactly in my line, so I don't think I'll go back, although I did get an invitation.

John has a date tonight but I wouldn't make one, so he went alone. We met some girls and their mothers at a party given here in camp for us, and they invited us out. We went out there a couple of times, but I don't enjoy running around with people I hardly know.

Am not quite broke yet -- still have 75 cents, but I don't think that will bet me by a weekend of liberty, so will have to stay in. Out of next payday must come a dozen handkerchiefs and a half dozen pairs of socks. I've put it off for two or three weeks already, but I get tired of washing my four handkerchiefs every few days. I lose them as fast as I draw them almost, and I never darn socks -- if they get a hole in them, I just wear them til they get too "holey" and then throw them away. It's hard enough keeping buttons on your clothes, let alone darning.

Freddie Hendricks came over today and told me his mother had been killed, and wanted some money, but I only had a dollar to let him have, but I sure wish I had had more. Naturally I didn't ask particulars about how she came to get killed, because he was all up in the air -- don't know whether he got enough money to get home or not. Hope he did, for it would be awful if he didn't and had to wait several days to have it sent to him.

Haven't gotten a letter for two days so I guess I'll get one tomorrow -- we get mail at 10:30 a.m. and 3 p.m., and besides chow time those are the most important times of the day.

Will mail this in the morning so it will leave the Yard at eight o'clock.

Thank you again for the Kodak and things.

Your loving son,
Heywood

(Postmarked Philadelphia, Penn., February 14, 1919)

No comments:

Post a Comment