December 23, 2010

Furlough

New London, Connecticut
December 26, 1918


Dear Mother,

My seven days start tomorrow at 12 o'clock, and I think I'll go up to New York and stay a day or so, if I don't stay the whole seven. I told them I'd give up my seven if I could get a long furlough later on, but they said I wouldn't stand any better chance, so I'm going to take it.

We only have one more day of this dizzy repair course. But I like it, for we just stand around and learn how to wire and assemble the different tubes. Today we took apart and put back together a compensator, and it took all day long to do it. Have just finished making the last diagrams in my notebook.

There is a better bunch of fellows here at the Pier than anyplace I've been -- so many of them college fellows. We all gather in one of their rooms at the YMCA, and just sit around til bedtime, and don't go to town at all, even though State Street, which is the main street, is only a block away. I wasn't out even on Christmas Eve, and only for a little bit last night.

Got a box of candy from the Bedford girls today -- divinity, so it's all gone now -- that kind is scarce and the fellows grabbed it up. For the past week some one of the boys has had a package, so we have been stuffed to death. Am enclosing a menu of our Christmas dinner at the Pier. It wasn't as good as the one we had Thanksgiving, but was cooked all O.K.

Haven't heard from Boone yet. I wish he had sent it [Ed. note: Refers to the loan made to Boone] before my furlough. I'll see Ruth Halton I'm sure, although I have heard from her for quite a while.

Maude Thomas sent me a Christmas card and I had neglected to send her one.

Didn't get a letter today -- or one yesterday, but expect one tomorrow afternoon.

It snowed all day today but melted right away. We are right on the shore, so it isn't as cold as Boston or even a few miles inland. They had a ten-inch snow at Norwich, only fifteen miles inland. Also a foot at Boston.

Christmas Day was warm and sunny here -- reminded me of some we've had at home.

Love to all of you -- and a merry and happy New Year.

Your son,
Heywood

P.S. Got Dad's Christmas telegram and wanted to telegraph back, but was a tightwad so didn't do it. I sure was glad to get it, I can tell you.

(Postmarked New London, Connecticut, December 26, 1918)

No comments:

Post a Comment