December 5, 2010

Busted

Pelham Bay
November 18, 1918


Dear Mother,

Have been back from liberty since this morning. It rained all day Sunday so we didn't stay outdoors -- however, I went up to Central Park and went through the two big Natural Art Exhibit buildings there, and believe me they were wonderful. I spent three hours in them and then just ran through. Certainly wished for you folks and wanted you to be able to see some of the things I am and those I will see.

Went to the American Theatre last night. It's on the marquee circuit. The Winter Garden and Follies were closed, but I think I'll take your advice and go once anyway. Am sure I'd regret it afterwards if I saved a few dollars and missed things I may not ever get to see again.

A fellow who sleeps in the next hammock to mine lives in Tulsa, Oklahoma, and lives with his uncle, a Mr. Turney who is an attorney there. The boy's name is Bassett. He lost his brother about October 19 on a destroyer. He had just finished his six weeks' listeners course at New London, and was on his first trip over when the boat was torpedoed and of course he went down.

My thumb is getting along O.K. Won't be long before it's all right and I don't think it will be stiff at all. One of the fellows in our barracks had harder luck than I did -- he cut his finger off at the first knuckle with a butcher cleaver the other day.

The United War Work is certainly going strong in New York -- if any people ever had money taken from them, it's the New Yorkers. Every subway train is supplied with at least one person who makes her (or his) business to collect all she can.

Just came back from chow and I sure did eat a bunch of stuff -- I'll bet I have the bellyache tonight, for I had this on my platter when I sat down to eat:

Sausage Dogs (7 links)
Two potatoes
Four pieces boiled ham
An onion
Pickled beets
A tablespoon of jelly
A bowl of coffee
Three bananas
Fives pieces bread

And if that's not enough for an ordinary human, I don't know much. Of course, I couldn't eat quite all of it, but still I about busted. The Pedro food wasn't as good as this nor did we have as much.

Have never gotten Chilton's letter -- hope to though.

It's still raining here and was dark at 5 o'clock.

The only reason I haven't sent the girls their caps is because my accounts are being gone over preparatory to my shipping to New London, so I can't draw anything. However, as soon as things are straightened out I'll ship 'em on.

All kinds of stunts were pulled off for the benefit of the United War Work. One fellow dived two stories onto a slanting board -- didn't hurt the poor fish at all, and they collected quite a bit of dough from the crowd.

Tell Father I saw the same dog that spun a hoop on his tail, and the three jugglers we saw at the Plaza doing stunts on the streets of New York. I recognized the dog before it did its stunt. Don't laugh -- you can recognize dogs!

While I was eating tonight I thought how much I'd give to be able to go out in the country, and cook and eat those dogs and onions. It sure is bad to be cooped up where you can't see any country.

Got the newspaper you sent and enjoyed reading it -- haven't finished though. Will keep it til I've read it all.

Give my love to all the kiddies, and love to you and F.

Your Son,
Heywood

(Postmarked New London, Connecticut, November 23, 1918)

No comments:

Post a Comment