December 17, 2010

The End Is Near

New London, Connecticut
December 10, 1918


Dear Mother,

Didn't hear from you today -- the mail must be held up.

I have only four more days on the sub chasers and then I get my rating. I will be lonesome now, for Rene Richards leaves Saturday for San Francisco to go on board the U.S.S. Ludlow, and as Boone and Priddy are already gone, I won't know anyone I really care to run around with.

I am going to get a quartermaster 2nd class, so I'll be paid $47.50 per month after the next payday -- the 20th. I didn't get any pay the last time, so I hope for some this time. I haven't heard from Boone yet, but he has hardly had time to get home yet -- hope he sends it back soon though.

I was going to Boston this Saturday but am too low to go. I hope I'll be here one more Saturday so I can go up and see Boston. Some of the fellows went up last Saturday and saw a bunch of interesting ships, as well as the Old North Church where Paul Revere hung the lanterns.

Am sending some pictures taken from a sub chaser -- also some of an old mill built in 1650, about four blocks from camp. The pictures that we took the other day, which have some of our class in them, have not been finished yet. Will send them when I get them.

Yesterday it snowed and sleeted all day, so that the deck was slick and wet, but today it was warmer and we got along better. Haven't been seasick in 5 days, so I hope I've gotten over part of it. I was up in the crow's nest for quite a while today, and it didn't bother me at all.

As soon as I get a good payday and have my rating on my arm, I'm going to have a small picture taken showing my blue eagle and chevrons.

Hope to hear from you when I get in again tomorrow.

Love to all,
Heywood

(Postmarked New London, Connecticut, December 12, 1918)

No comments:

Post a Comment