February 9, 2011

More About Baseball

May 31, 1919

Dear Father,

Got another letter from Mother today while I was playing ball -- the mail orderly came by and gave it to me there instead of making me wait until I got back to the ship.

And so you are to really be "Judge" Weldon. I don't know whether to be glad or not, for it's going to work you mighty hard jumping around all the time. However, I'm "fer you strong" in anything you decide to do.

Yesterday the executive officer called me over and talked to me about getting out, and said he wasn't sure whether I would go across with the ship or not, but he gave me lots of satisfaction when he said he would either give me a discharge or take me over with them. He asked me about finishing out my four years, but I told him I'd rather be out. I'll be mighty disappointed if I don't get to go across, but at the same time I'll get out if I don't, so I'll be satisfied either way. One thing is certain -- if I am going to get out, it will be before the 15th of June.

Had good luck in yesterday's ball game when we played a Coast Guard cutter team. I knocked the furthest fly ball, they say, that has ever been hit in the park. There was a man on first and we both scored, which gave us a decided lead. Am doing very well playing first base -- playing much better ball than I did when I played with Bowie [Ed. note: his high school team]. Our suits are pretty good material, with Blakeley down the front and a blue B on the cap. I have a good lightweight pair of sprinting baseball shoes they issued us. Really wish I could bring them and my big leather sea boots home with me, but not a chance.

Are having perfectly splendid weather up here now. It was 90 degrees in the shade yesterday, but a breeze was blowing from the sea today so it was cooler. The nights are cooler than at home anyway.

We will be in Philadelphia about the 5th, and I'll let you know as soon as I find out anything definite about getting out.

Love to all,
Your loving son,
Heywood

(No postmark)

No comments:

Post a Comment