March 3, 2011

Wielder Of The Goose Quill

Ancient and Honorable Order of the Blue Goose
Office of the Wielder of the Goose Quill
Hall Building
Little Rock, Arkansas
May 31, 1924


Dear Dad:

Although I started this letter on the above date, it is now Monday morning and I am taking a few minutes before digging into a week's work.

You will find enclosed a blank note in the amount of $250.00 signed by me, and I'm wondering if you would mind once more placing your signature below mine, and see if the Wichita State Bank will make me a 90-day loan. I'm not broke, but am a little short on cash in view of numerous expenses such as doctors, dentists, etc. However, the main reason for the loan is that I want to be fully prepared to make a long vacation this summer, perhaps a month, beginning sometime the latter part of June. If for any reason you do not feel like doing the needful, don't hesitate to say so. I can get it in Little Rock but I'm not much on having to get an endorser other than the Dad of me.

Our weather has been cool for over a week and I guess you have had the same kind. Saw a double header ball game between Little Rock and Atlanta Friday. The southern league is not as fast as the Texas, regardless of much talk to the contrary. I surely wish you and Mother could drive or come up for a little visit before I come home. If you can get away, come on. If not, you must come in the fall sometime. I'm getting to be a regular Arkansan and want to show you the sights around these parts.

I hope Donovan is getting along better -- he's had a harder time than we realized last year. I hear you have purchased a boat and outboard motor -- did you ever get an island to rule over?

Must halt and get out some mail. Will be in El Dorado and vicinity again this week. Reports reaching me indicate that V. Allred is not on the right side of the fence, and will be beaten in the coming race for District Attorney.

Love to the family and lots to yourself from
Your son,
Heywood

(Postmarked Little Rock, Arkansas, June 2, 1924)

No comments:

Post a Comment